YMU Business Management is the largest specialist music, entertainment, and sport accountancy and business management practice in the UK. Established over 30 years it has an elite client list acting for some of the world’s leading musicians, songwriters, managers, and promoters. It also represents top entertainment talent, alongside leading sports people, social first talent and authors. In addition to accountancy compliance services, the practice handles all aspects of artist touring; royalties; catalogue sales; tax filings; and business management advisory services. It comprises over 100 people in four offices: Central London. Manchester, Chiswick, and Stratford (East London). The division is committed to continue to grow through organic growth and acquisition
To continue the evolution of the culture and aid the senior leadership team to drive financial and operational performance. Internally the role is focused on ensuring that “The YMU Way” of working is established across all key business processes. This will include onboarding lateral hires, and aiding with integrating acquisitions. Externally, the OD acts as an ambassador for both YMU and the Division. The OD must have the confidence and gravitas to make decisions in respect of the areas that they have responsibility over (with the aid and support of the Divisional Directors and Group COO), and be able to communicate with the wider team and the Divisional Directors on a day-to-day basis.
Day to day operations of the business:
- to include overseeing and managing the administration team
- building relations with the wider staff and liaising with the HR team, to include managing the apprentice training program
- liaising with both the Central finance team and the Central IT team with regards to the needs of the business, monitoring this ongoing
- Overseeing and developing the use of the practice management system for the business
- Managing the marketing team to include overseeing the website of the business
- Managing facilities team
- Aid and support with regards to the innovation in service delivery and the introduction of new ideas and technologies
Support to the Board:
- Monitor, review and control the financial systems –timesheets, billing, debtors and work in progress – to include involvement with management accounts and budgeting, and working with the internal finance team.
- Ensure that the compliance and governance issues that affect the Division are met
- Co-ordinate the recruitment of new staff including senior lateral hires
- Maintain and develop the learning culture within the division
Background and Experience required:
- Excellent organisation skills with experience of performing an Operating Officer/Administrative Officer or similar role in a Compliance/Risk environment.
- Experience of managing operations and evidence of building effective links the staff and senior personnel.
- Must possess an element of governance experience, compliance risk management orientation including market, operational, legal, regulatory and compliance aspects and internal controls.
- Appreciation of relevant IT tools i.e. understanding of IT without necessarily being an IT specialist.
- Demonstrate an ability to recognize business problems and work with the board to resolve/find solutions
- Knowledge of key systems the practice uses such as Microsoft suite, Sage, and Xero. Knowledge of CCH also preferable
- Demonstrate a degree of financial acumen to understand management accounts, budgeting, forecasting, KPI’s and other key business performance drivers
- Experience in working in a professional services/partnership environment, ideally with a finance/accounting background
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong communication and presentation
- Ability to work under pressure and made decisions
- Management skills.
- Decision making
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good teamwork
- We offer a wide variety of benefits including:
- 25 days Annual Leave
- Annual bonus
- Life Assurance
- Colleagues Incentive Scheme
- Private medical after 12 months’ service
- Enhanced parental leave